Sunday 2 January 2022

Summer Learning Journey ~ Build Something that Flies




Today I have done another activity called build something that flies. In this activity I needed to create three flying objects which are a ring glider, a hoop glider, and a paper aeroplane.

A ring glider is an object that has one small ring and a one bigger ring that is taped onto a rolled up paper that looks like a straw. Next is a hoop glider, it is paper that is folded and made into a circle shape by bringing the two ends of the paper onto the sides to make a hoop. Lastly it is a paper aeroplane which is an object that has a point in the front of the plane and the back with wind wings, and under is the place where people hold it to throw.

When I was throwing the three flying objects I discovered that the paper aeroplane was the only one that flew the longest, and I think it's like this because the aeroplane has a point in the front that makes it glide through the air. Something I enjoyed when I did this activity was testing all of the inventions out since I wanted to find out how far each of the objects goes. One thing I found tricky was rolling the paper into a straw to make the ring glider because the length of the paper was pretty short, and I needed to use a pencil to roll it nicely without any folds. Some helpful tips when making the flying objects are to make sure that you measure out the paper accurately, make sure you have all the materials you are going to use before making it, and finally take your time when making each of the items.

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Chisa,

    My name is Zana and I am a blog commenter from the summer learning journey.

    I think you did an awesome job of introducing the activity and explaining your different paper plane making process and it is great to see the scientific approach you took by measuring and comparing the distance and sizes of your planes.

    Awesome job including videos too, which was your favourite to make?

    Keep up the good work and I hope to see more of your posts during the Summer Learning Journey!!

    Ngā mihi nui,
    Zana Yates

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.