Tuesday 29 December 2020

Summer Learning Journey | Building a super with Nanogirl

I have created three columns to test out which ones can hold up after given an object to put on. 

First I watched a video to test out which columns are strong. The shapes were 3D triangle, cylinder, and a flat piece of paper that is being faced side ways with a folded corner. 

Next I created my own columns, and tested out with little shampoo container. The results were: flat paper fell, but the cylinder an the 3D triangle didn't fall. 

I found this activity challenging because there weren't cardboard in my home and I tried to find something that was hard. 

1 comment:

  1. Mōrena Chisa,

    Fiona here from the SLJ. Great work creating three different super columns to compare and contrast their strength properties - ka pai! Approximately how heavy was the small shampoo container that you put on top?
    I really like how you have drawn your different structures so clearly and written a detailed description so I can really understand the activity. Maybe you could collect cardboard objects at home this week!

    This activity reminds me of how I used to try and build houses out of paper playing cards. We would have competitions in my family to see who could build the biggest and strongest paper card super column!

    Keep up the great work and blog you again soon.

    Fiona (SLJ).

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.